When you lose one or several teeth due to decay or trauma, both your confidence and your oral health can suffer as a result. Large spaces can cause your remaining teeth to shift, accelerate bone loss in the jaw, affect your speech and ability to eat, and even change your appearance by causing your cheeks to sag inwards.
Dentures and bridges are the most well-known types of dental restorations, but they come with their own share of drawbacks. Bridges require placing crowns on adjacent teeth to hold them in place and increase the likelihood of decay if the area isn’t diligently cleaned. Dentures can feel uncomfortable, shift around in your mouth, and sometimes require adhesives to keep them in place.
Riverstone Dental Care is pleased to offer dental implants as a permanent and natural-looking restoration for missing teeth. Implants have many excellent benefits without the disadvantages associated with removable dentures and bridges.
- Permanent. Dental implants are small titanium posts that are surgically anchored in the jaw. After a healing period, this biocompatible metal fuses with the bone, permanently securing it in place so it functions like the root of a natural tooth.
- Secure. Unlike removable dentures, you’ll never have to worry about your implants shifting around or coming loose in your mouth. Because they are anchored just like regular teeth, you never have to worry about the fixture becoming ill-fitting over time, a common problem associated with removable dentures.
- Long-lasting. Dental implants are topped with a custom-designed crown that is made to fit perfectly in your mouth and match the look of the rest of your teeth. They are just as durable as natural teeth and, when properly cared for, will last for many years.
- Maintain bone density in jaw. A common problem associated with missing teeth is accelerated bone loss in the jawbone. The posts of the implants provide the jaw with the same support and stimulation as the roots of the rest of your teeth and are a great way to prevent the rapid loss of bone density.
- Support surrounding teeth. When new spaces open up in the mouth, it’s not surprising that the surrounding teeth begin to shift, but this can lead to uneven spacing and alignment issues. Dental implants are carefully fitted into the space where your original tooth was, ensuring a perfect fit that keeps your surrounding teeth securely in place and prevents any unwanted shifting.
- Prevent receding gums. Another issue with missing teeth and the wearing of removable dentures is that the health of the gums can suffer over time. The gum line will often recede or form deep pockets in which bacteria can thrive and contribute to periodontal disease. Dental implants are easy to brush and floss around, keeping your gums healthy and clean.
Riverstone Family Dental is very happy to offer our patients a complete line of restorative procedures including crowns, dentures, and dental implants. If you’d like more information on dental implants and whether they may be right for you, contact us to schedule a consultation.Contact Us Today